Wednesday, January 1, 2014

A Farewell to 2013

Happy New Year, y'all!

It's time, once again, to say adios to the year that was. I can't say 2013 was awesome or bad... it definitely has to be reviewed month by month. The only "bad" months had to be February through May, but even then I couldn't describe any one part as awful or unbearable. And I definitely had a lot of wonderful moments this year that will last with me for a lifetime! Last year certainly beat 2012, which is more than I could have asked for. 2014 will bring many endings and new beginnings for me - some good, some bad, and some bittersweet. It will definitely be an interesting year! But before I get too far along into 2014, I thought I better recap the year that was before it becomes a distant memory. 

January


The start of my second full year in California! Woohoo!
Started off my new year sick with a cold, but eager to start the year off right.
Spent New Year's Day in Ventura, CA watching the first sunset of the year with my dog.
My very good friend E came to visit! So much fun having him here and showing him around my new home. 

February


Spent the first two weeks in Houston, TX for work. Enjoyed seeing coworkers, family, and friends!
Visited the Oscar red carpet, the space shuttle (Endeavor), and touring the La Brea Tar Pits. Read more here.
(Editors Note: The post was made after my brother left, but pictures/events were in February.)

March

No pictures to share this month. Spent two and a half weeks sick with pneumonia again. 
Reviewed my actual wants in life (vs. needs), and decided what I really want. 
Revised my bucketlist.

April


Attended Giuliana Rancic's keynote lunch at a business conference, spurring a whole slew of adventures!
Faced and made a decision that changed the course of so very many, many things for my life.
Finally met my longtime internet friend, Pinky Lovejoy!
The month of many celebrity meetings, including: Keith Coogan (the now-husband of my aforementioned friend), Lou Ferrigno, Diane Ladd, Jeremy Miller, MICHAEL FREAKING CUDLITZ (pictured), C. Thomas "Tommy" Howell, Omarosa Manigault, James Gandolfini, Jennifer Tilly, Blake Lewis, Brian Baumgartner, Shanna Moakler, and Adrian Young. Totally weird, cool, and fun!

May


Made another huge decision (geez - it was a weird first half of the year) that directed my path this year.
Met new friends at my lovely friend Pinky's birthday party in LA.
Went on an amazing trip to New Mexico with my friend E. We visited churches, I showed him around Albuquerque and Santa Fe, and introduced him to some of my best friends!

June


June was an incredibly busy travel month for me.
First, I went to Washington, DC for both work and pleasure. 
During my trip, I got to tour the sobering Arlington National Cemetery, toured the amazing monuments in town both during the day and at night, met some interesting politicians on Capitol Hill, and walked around the lovely Library of Congress.


My mom and brother visited to drop off my niece. I took them to both LA and San Francisco during their brief visit. 


My niece stayed with me for the rest of the month, leading to many adventures (part 1 and part 2).

July


July kicked off with a road-trip across four states and back with my niece. 
Spent the Fourth of July visiting Ouray and driving up the Million Dollar Highway
I spent most of this month working really hard - lots of unpaid overtime (salary... lame). ; )

August

I spent most of August preparing for a big year in my volunteer world. I officially started my post as a committee chair in Junior League and as the President of a local industry association.




My BFF came to visit! Technically, she went to the bay area for work... but we got to spend a lot of quality time together while she was in CA. I spent one weekend in the bay area with her visiting San Francisco and Fairfield, and she spent the following weekend visiting me in SoCal. We had so much fun! I really miss her.

September


September was the month of working hard and playing harder.
I started the month with a trip to San Diego for a work conference - not a bad view for the week. ; )
During the trip I visited Old Town, took a wine tour via train, and visited Balboa Park.


I also traveled to Seattle for a separate, work related trip. It was fun seeing old friends while making new ones!
 In addition to meetings, I did the Underground Tour, visited Chihuly Gardens, and had dinner with a friend.
I spent the remainder of the month planning events for the rest of the year. Never a dull moment.

October


I kicked off October with the Dearly Departed Tour with a new friend. It was creepy, but cool.
My mother came to town the following week to visit for my birthday. We had a BLAST!
We toured the Huntington Library and Gardens, visited Ventura, and went on the Paramount Studio Tour!
I was invited to several weddings in October & November, but was only able to go to two due to travel plans. : (
(Many congrats to my friends in Houston and to Miss Pinky Lovejoy of CA on their nuptials!!!)


I ended my month in Minneapolis for another work conference. The fall leaves on the trees were beautiful!
During my trip, I met colleagues from around the world, and also ran into Wilson Cruz!

November


November started with yet another wedding of a good friend and colleague in Camarillo. It was gorgeous!
Later in the month, a new friend of mine and I went to meet RJ Mitte from Breaking Bad down in LA! So cool!


I ended the month by driving east to New Mexico to visit my family for Thanksgiving. The trip was unexpectedly extended when my car broke down the day I left! (Stupid German-made cars!). Still, the extended visit was nice and I was glad to have the support of my family while I figured out a solution to get me home.

December

I ended the year incredibly busy with work. I can't believe how much I get done this time of year!
I enjoyed helping coordinate a donation drive for a local family in need for Christmas, and had fun making snacks for my colleagues at work (biscochitos, if you're curious).


I ended the month with yet another long drive back to New Mexico to see my family for Christmas.

All in all, 2013 proved to be an interesting year! I am truly blessed with my life, and don't take an ounce of it for granted. I had a lot of fun last year, made a lot of new friends both near and far, and made decisions that I am hoping will help catapult me into the direction of my dreams in 2014 and beyond. I hope each of you had an equally fun if not sometimes challenging year! It is these challenges, after all, that help us to grow! Here's hoping that your 2014 brings you all the love, laughter, and light your soul can handle! Cheers!

Until next time...

--- Becks

PS - I know I've been horrible at keeping up this blog, as evidenced by my lack of blog links post-July. I'll try to get y'all caught up, and will be better going forward. Promise! See you soon!

2 comments:

  1. BECKY ...GREAT POST...LOVED ALL YOUR STORIES...HAPPY NEW YEAR...THE BEST IN 2014;;;DEB...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie! I am a very blessed person - blessed by the gifts and love of my family, the love of my friends, and the adventures I've been allowed to have on this journey we call life. I wouldn't trade my life for anyone else's ever ;). Happy New Year to you too! I'm glad we've reconnected!

      Delete