Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Old Fashion'd

For the most part, I grew up in New Mexico. Specifically, I grew up near the Four Corners area (where Colorado, Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico come together for a quick kiss in the desert southwest). Why bring this up? Well, boys and girls, this is where I first discovered my love of fashion. Yes, FASHION.

Now, as I've said many times before, I am no fashionista. Lord, give me a pair of shorts and a comfy old t-shirt and I will be the happiest girl around. But I adore looking at fashion! I love the various textures, the colors and patterns... the seasonality of it brings me so much joy year round! Now you may be asking yourself... what does all of this have to do with growing up in New Mexico?

New Mexico is not known as the fashion mecca of the modern world. People there dress for comfort and practicality - rarely does one go out in expensive designer garb unless it's a special occasion. That being said, there is definitely a sense of style in the southwest. Turquoise, velvet, and silver are always popular, as are cowboy boots and sweeping skirts. A lot of the fashion culture is borrowed from the many Native American cultures found within the state, a culture so rich in history that it always fascinated me. And it's no wonder - the Native American fashions are beautiful!

AP Photo/Coeur D'Alene Art Auction, Michael Scott

So, you can only imagine my delight when I saw the above picture in CBS news on Monday morning! The gorgeous shirt above recently sold for an astounding $877,500. Why so special? The shirt, which dates back to 1877, was originally owned and worn by the infamous Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce tribe. In fact, a portrait of him wearing the shirt can be found in the Smithsonian. This same portrait was also used for a US Postage Stamp once upon a time. From what I can tell from the photo, it appears to have been made from deerskin, horse hair, and possibly feathers. The beautiful, intricate beadwork still looks to be in good condition... even if it has been over 100 years since it was made. Wow! I truly wish I could have seen the work in person. It's just so fantastic!

Lately, there has been a resurgence in affection for Native American-inspired fashion. In fact, even the most recent Target ad had a whole page dedicated to Southwestern style. Very cool. Now I can tell my more fashion-forward friends that I was really ahead of the times for all those years. Ha! In the meantime, I'll continue to adore actual fashion (and fashionable people) from afar... you can find me at home, probably hanging out in my shorts. :)

Until next time...

--- Becks

No comments:

Post a Comment