Sunday, July 1, 2012

Staycations don't always save you money...

... but they sure are fun! In late May, my mom, sisters, and my nieces came to visit my brother and I in California. They had never been to my new house, and wanted to do some southern and central California sight-seeing while they were here. It was so good to see them!

First on their agenda was a tour of Kern Canyon. Kern Canyon winds along Hwy 178 from Bakersfield, CA to Lake Isabella. The road take dramatic turns at the bottom of the canyon, giving you a fantastic view of Kern River and the greater valley.


Looking down on Kern River from the roadside - I wish I had taken better pictures!


The strange topography of the Kern River Valley.

Next in our itinerary was a trip to the Central Coast. We headed north to Cambria to see the sights of Moonstone Beach. We saw so many seals, elephant seals, sea lions, sea anemones, and hermit crabs! My nieces loved it! I only wish it would have been warmer, and that we could have went to Hearst Castle too!


Cambria, as seen from Moonstone Beach.


Our sea lion friends!


My nieces looking around for sand dollars and sea shells at Morro Rock in Morro Bay.


This isn't any of us, but something I oh-so-want to do!


Looking down on Morro Bay. 

For kicks, my mom and one of my sisters went to Burbank/Pasadena for the day. We ate at my favorite brunch place (Bea Bea's - seriously... go there!), toured the outsides of all the Burbank/Studio City studios, did some stalking of film sites for Halloween and My So-Called Life, and saw the Hollywood Sign!


Sisters in Hollywood!

My family concluded the trip with a visit to Disneyland! My brother, my youngest sister and her daughter had never been so it was a treat to see them there.


My niece meeting her favorite princess, Aurora.


Peter Pan up to no good during the parade.


My brother and my niece got into trouble again in Toon Town!

All in all, it was a very fun trip. We didn't get to do everything on everyone's list, but we sure did a lot in the short time they were here. Alas, all good things come to an end and they left back to NM after a short 5 day visit. Hopefully, they had fun and they'll be back to visit again soon. 

Until next time...

--- Becks


1 comment:

  1. They loved it! I loved it! Well, I loved everything except for the seagull at Morro Bay who held me hostage in my car - lol. Had such a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete